I love googly eyes! I just do. One part plastic and one part fun. It just reminds me of being a kid. So, when I saw them in the store staring right back at me, I thought that I just had to make something fun out of them that I could wear.
I’ve already attempted earrings and rings. Two googly eyes on two fingers is a very funny site, but I digress. I chose to do a basic choker necklace. I’m not one to do something overly complicated and I wanted to do a quick craft, so this is what I did to create it…
– 20 gauge wire (I used silver) or headpins
– E 6000 glue
– 24 1″ googly eyes
– 2 small silver jump rings
– 6″ silver chain (optional)
– lobster clasp
– round nose pliers
– wire cutters
– heavy flat object (like books)
1. Start by cutting 12 3″ lengths of 20 gauge wire.
2. Use toothpick to spread E 6000 glue over back of googly eye as shown here:
3. Stick wire flat directly into glue. Lay another googly eye over top and press, sandwiching the two together. Lay a heavy flat object like a phone book over top to add pressure while drying. Let dry.
4. Once dry, use round nose pliers to make small loops, linking each eye together until all are completely linked.
5. Add jump rings to the last loops and add lobster clasp for closure. Add chain if you need the necklace longer to fit your neck.
Here’s me wearing my googly-eyed creation! Like as in that 80’s Rockwell song (only popular cause Michael Jackson sang the chorus, I might add), somebody really is watching me!
Until next time, if there is a next time…..wha ha ha….
All content/photos copyright, © Alexa L. Westerfield, 2008.