This month’s theme for Ornament Thursday is Red Hot. I racked my brain to figure out something that screamed “Red Hot” to me. I immediately thought of a heated burner and the cool spiral it creates when it’s hot. I thought I would use that as a visual statement for the pendant for a necklace. Here’s how I did it:
– necklace memory wire
– black 3mm ab faceted glass beads– orange 4mm ab faceted glass beads
– long red coil beads
– small jump ring
– pendant blank (Beadalicious by Horizon)
– inkjet printer
– xyron runner or bonding glue
– decopauge medium
– foam brush
– pendant image
Visit my flickr page for thependant design (Thanks Chris for taking this photo for me).
1. Cut necklace wire with wire cutters to desired length. Use pliers to make loop at end of one end of necklace.
2. String beads according to photo. At end of necklace, make loop.
3. Open up image in Photoshop or related imaging program and print out pendant image onto cardstock. Use a xyron runner or bonding glue to adhere image to metal pendant. Using foam brush, apply decopauge medium. It you wanting a more substantial look, try using something like Diamond Glaze or Envirotex to make the image pop off.
4. Poke a hole with safety pin on back side of pendant through paper. Open up jump ring and poke jump ring through hole. Add jump ring to center of necklace image and close jump ring.
On a side note, I photographed this on a piece of dyed marble effect material that I made in college. It was the colors of fire so it worked out perfectly!
Check out these other OT links!
Art Bead Scene
– ABS Editor Cindy Gimbrone Goes Red Hot Crazy!
Beading Help Web is RED HOT!
– Lynn Kvigne takes up the torch and shows you how to make a toe ring using fine silver.
Cindy Gimbrone aka Lampwork Diva
– Trendy, Popular and Red Hot!
It’s a Red Hot July in Arizona!
– Lisa finally finishes a project from over a year ago. Check out this “hot” take on a changeable necklace.
Katie’s Beading Blog
– Check out Katie’s Red Hot faux coral necklace! It’s a punch of color with a summery feel.
Linda Augsburg at BeadStyle Magazine
– Linda shares a red-hot card she created
Michelle is RED HOT!
– Well, really, Margot is…
Strands of Beads
– The heat is rising, and Melissa is making a Red hot Firecracker necklace!
Swelldesigner a.k.a. Alexa Westerfield
– The Swelldesigner gets red hot with a Hunka Hunka Burner Necklace!
Too Red Hot
– Our own Michelle Zimmerman has been hard at work this month sculpting a devil of a project for your enjoyment.
Until then, Swellions, have a great day!
All content/photos copyright, © Alexa L. Westerfield, 2008
Cindy Gimbrone says
Alexa – that necklace is gorgeous! It represents the hot burner perfectly! Your instructions are clear and easy. You’re swell for posting it! 🙂
What a great representation of red hot! This is really cool!
Katie Hacker says
Hot burner! So clever!
That is a great idea! Love the burner concept.
Candie Cooper says
So clever indeed!!! I really like the photo too with the orangy-hot glow. Nice!
Margot Potter says
You make the coolest things! Love the way your mind works!
Melissa J. Lee says
Beautiful art from an everyday object – I love this.
Michelle McGee says
That’s so cool!
I mean, it’s wicked hot!
I so love the way your mind works.. your projects are alway a big fave of mine..
Joni Nickrent says
Now that is definitely one red hot and beautiful piece of fab! Thanks for the link up! POP ART MINIS