Sep 25, 2008
Ornament Thursday: Something's brewing up!
This month, we didn't have as many Thursdays in September, so I totally flaked on Ornament THursday! I got caught up with other things. So my project is a day late, and a dollar short, huh?
The theme for Ornament Thursday this month is "Brew". so I decided to share this project that I did last year that I posted on myspace. I wanted to create a retro witch wall hanging that was cute and fun and divalicious. I haven't gotten her out yet for this year, but hopefully will in the next week!
RETRO WITCH WALL HANGING
Americana Acrylic Paints:
Jack O' Lantern Orange
Americana Acrylic Writer:
Dazzling Metallics Paints:
Craft Twinkles Paints:
Flat brush, liner brush
8x10 white art canvas
12 small crystal rhinestones
1 large purple rhinestone
1 medium crystal rhinestone
1 starbust sparkle
Sakura Gelly Writer Silver Pen
Sharpie marker (optional - see optional ideas section)
1. Draw or trace onto canvas
2. Paint in face area using Flesh Tone.
3. Squeeze out Black writer onto plate and paint hair, inside glasses area and hat stripes (refer to photo)
4. Paint around glasses Royal Fuschia.
5. Paint lips Cherry Red.
6. Paint hat brim and stripes Purple Pearl.
7. Paint wider stripe just above brim Jack O' Lantern orange.
8. Paint background Ice Blue.
9. When background is done, paint stars Bahama Blue and swirls Royal Fuchsia.
10. Paint stripes on side of canvas alternating between orange and black.
11. Use black writer to outline hair, neck, chin, nose, and hat. Let dry.
12. Use silver pen to add details around stars, swirls, and for reflection on glasses.
13. Use matching twinkle color to paint over selected areas...For Purple Pearl, Purple Twinkles; Cherry, Red; Jack O' Lantern, Orange Twinkles; and Black, I mixed it up and gave it a purple twinkle tint as well. For stars, Ice Crystal twinkles was used.
14. Once all is done, adhere sequins and embellishments with craft glue.
1. Glue gun a matching tulle or grosgrain ribbon to the top of your canvas for hanging.
2. Use a Craft Twinkles paint pot instead of buying every single color of Twinkles or get a similar effect by just applying Ice Crystal Twinkles over selected areas.
3. For finer details (instead of using Black Americana Writer), use Sharpie Marker.
Also, I can put the pattern if anyone wants it on my flickr. I will have to draw it up though. So, if you'd like to have it, please e-mail me at email@example.com.
Here's what the other ladies of Ornament Thursday have brewed up!
Art Bead Scene
Jennifer's Not-So-Scary Halloween Bracelet
BeadStyle & Milwaukee's heritage
Linda shares her Amber Bock Bracelet
Brewin' Up A Few Witches
Witches born of glass
Cindy Gimbrone aka Lampwork Diva
New Beads are Brewing...
Double, Double, Toil and Trouble...
Joolz by Lisa has a "Hairy" Twist on OT Brew
It's not easy being green
Michelle yearns to be the Wicked Witch of the West - we think she's hit pay dirt here.
Strands of Beads
Something wicked is brewing at Melissa's place
Until next time Swellions!
All content/photos copyright, © Alexa L. Westerfield, 2008