Hello Swellions! Today I am presenting to you an idea that I kinda changed last minute. I knew along that I wanted to make a cake stand, but yesterday after looking at an ejected cd in my car, I got the idea that I wanted to use a used CD as a base for adorable project. And it’s the perfect size for a cupcake (in my case, mine is faux and I’ll show you how to make them as well). So onto the show!
Cute CD Cupcake Stand
Supplies for Stand
– 1 used CD
– 1 piece of 12″ x 12″ orange scrapbook paper
– 1 piece of 12″ x 12″ silver polka dotted scrapbook paper
– Xyron runner or self-adhesive spray
– 1 package self-adhesive rhinestones (I got mine at Michael’s in Halloween section)
– 1 small styrofoam cone
Supplies for Cupcake
– Jack o’ Lantern Orange Americana Acrylics paint
– Black Craft Twinkles Writer paint
– jar of Snow-Tex (4 oz.)
– Glamour Dust Glitter by DecoArt
– White jumbo cupcake holders (mine were from Wilton)
– medium sized smooth foam ball
– Orange seed beads (mine were an assorted mix)
– medium sized wooden orange bead
General supplies for both
– Glue gun and glue sticks
– palette knife
– paper cutter or ruler and exacto knife with cutting board
– small liner brush
– kitchen knife
– skotch tape
2. Lay cd on top of adhesive on remaining 12″ x 12″ paper and trace with pencil. Cut out with scissors.
3. From the 12″ x 12″ black paper, cut out two strips 12″ long by 2″ wide. Lay side by side to form one long strip. Place tape in middle to join the two strips.
5. Carefully glue gun pennant banner around side of CD, and cut off and glue any excess that overlaps.
6. Use glue gun to glue top of styrofoam cone to bottom of CD.
7. Embellish bottom of stand with black and silver self-adhesive rhinestones, and dot in between pennant sections using orange rhinestones.
1. Using liner brush, paint alternating sections fo the cupcake holder Jack O’ Lantern Orange. Let dry.
2. Use Black Craft Twinkles to dot in between these alternating stripes as shown. Set aside and let dry.
4. Add a few drops of water to your bottle of Snow-Tex paint. This will give it a creamier consistency for your “frosting”. Frost your cupcake everywhere except for the bottom. While wet sprinkle on beads and gently press into place. Also place wooden ball into place into this wet paint. Sprinkle on Glamour Dust as well over top. Let dry.
5. Once dry, use glue gun to glue cupcake to bottom of paper cupcake holder. Place on top of your finished cupcake stand and admire 🙂
Until next time Swellions!
All content/photos copyright, © Alexa L. Westerfield, 2008