I love starbursts, color, and a splash of glitter here or there! I combined all three to create this super fun starburst tote bag!!! I think it turned out really fun...definitely something I will be proud to carry around :)
Here's how you make it!
Rainbow Starburst Totebag
– Tulip Soft® Fabric Paint in various colors (I chose a bright palette)
– Tulip® Fashion Glitter™ Shimmer Transfer Sheets
– Canvas tote bag
– Sponge or pouncer brushes
– Painters tape
– Paper towels
– Water for cleaning brushes
– X-acto knife
– Cutting mat
– Ironing cloth
1. Wash and iron tote bag.
2. Select where you want your middle point of your bag to be.
3. Use pencil and ruler to lightly make radiating rays outside from center point.
4. Determine where you want your colors place. You may want to lightly pencil them in as a guide onto the canvas bag (you'll be covering it up with paint or the shimmer sheet). I chose to do mine randomly, so I didn't really plan it out.
5. Use painters tape to mark off areas to pounce in.
6. Pounce your paint into the taped off areas. Peel tape up and do tape down another section until all desired areas are painted. Touch up any details with a smaller paintbrush. Let dry.
7. Measure the rays that you plan to glitter, I used an X-acto to cut the Shimmer Transfer Sheet to fit. Since it was just cutting straight lines, it was super easy to do.
8. Peel adhesive backing away from transfer sheets and position in place. Apply ironing cloth over glitter sheet and iron until adhered to bag. These sheets are super cool cause you get full glitter coverage, without mess or the need to shake on glitter over glue! Oh and I apologize for lack of photos showing you how easy it is, my camera was acting wacky and I lost all my step by step photos applying the shimmer transfer sheets!
9. Cut out a small section of the shimmer transfer sheets in blue and red glitter. Fold in half and cut out a symmetrical heart and heart overlay/outline. Iron in place. The heart helps cover up any weird meeting point mistakes you may have created with the paint!
10. Iron your bag one final time and it's ready to be your go-to accessory!
Here's a few cute detail photos and another final look at the bag!
If you are interested in purchasing the Tulip® Soft® Fabric Paints of Tulip® Fashion Glitter™ Shimmer Transfer Sheets, they are available in Michaels stores or to order at ilovetocreate.com.
Hope you enjoyed this summer totebag project!
Until next time Swellions!
P.S. I linked this project at:
Blue Cricket Design
Sew Much Ado
Fave Crafts Blog Hop
Tatertots and Jello
Craft Schooling Sunday