If you’re looking for a super cute costume idea for a babe, you can’t get much cuter than a Candy Corn! This is a simple, simple project that will take minutes for you to make but will get lots of oohs and ahhs over how great it looks! And if you’re so inclined, make your own version using an adult shirt or tank top. It’s a great alternative to wear to a party and still look super festive! Here’s how you do it!
– White 100% Cotton onesies (I used Gerber brand)
– Tulip® One-step Tie Dye colors in orange and yellow
– Surface covers or plastic bags, craft gloves, and a plastic apron (recommended)
How to make it
1. Rinse out your onesie in your sink, squeeze out water. You want it very damp, but not soaking wet. This is so that the dye takes better to the fabric!
2. Prepare your work area with plastic bags. Tulip actually makes a great surface cover, craft gloves, and apron that you can get at the store when you are picking up your tie dye! It makes the process much easier and neater!
4. It’s best to start with the middle orange section first. I found that it was easier to control the dye this way and the colors bled together best. I also have a crazy hand for dye so on another onesie I attempted I went to far up and left very little white. By doing the middle orange section, this was a little “safety” for me so I wouldn’t get too crazy with the dye!
6. Let the dye sit for 4-6 hours. You will want to cover it up with a plastic bag or surface cover. I found that the results were better if you could let your dye set on the table and cover it rather than having to transport it or move it to another bag to set.
7. Wash the dye out in the sink until the water from the onesie runs clear. You will want to make sure to wash it from the white top with the water flowing down; otherwise some of your orange and yellow colors could flow onto your bright white section, and that would be crappy!
8. Wash by itself on a small load setting with a little detergent. Dry as you normally do!
Until next time Swellions!
P.S. I linked my project up to the following linky parties!